Residential Construction Permits: Understanding Development Types

If you are planning to perform construction or renovation work in your residential property, it is critical to understand the legal regulations regarding permits. In most cases, you will require official approval before building a freestanding structure or an extension. This requirement helps to make certain that the residential property is safe and that the building project does not violate environmental protection policies. In other cases, the permit is unnecessary because the impact expected from the structure is minimal. The exact approval requirements for your residential improvement project will depend on the nature of development or modification. Here is a description of exempt and self-assessable projects as well as developments that require building approvals.

Exempt Development

An exempt building project refers to any construction work that does not require a development permit before commencing. In simple terms, there are no building standards imposed by the local building authorities. You will not require a building permit for carports, pergolas, shade structures, non-structural repairs and even for playground structures. However, there are restrictions in terms of height, roof surface area and level of enclosure. You should note that some exempt structures might require approval by the local council under certain planning schemes. Therefore, it is prudent to see this authority for guidance before starting the work to avoid future legal issues.

Self-Assessable Development

There are building structures that do not require official development applications and permits. However, there are construction standards and regulations imposed through the national Building Code and local safety codes. If your project involves this type of development, you are responsible for ensuring that your structure or extension complies with applicable codes and restrictions. The aspects that you should evaluate during construction include boundary setbacks, the structural efficiency of the building and size limits. Self-assessable structures include small tool sheds, retaining walls and residential fences. Like the exempt developments, you should check the local council's planning schemes and make certain that your plan is compliant.

Building Approval Development

Building approval is required for large buildings or extensions that exceed the constraints placed on exempt and self-assessable structures. The permit is usually issued by licensed building certifiers, such as Thomas Independent Certification. However, you can also request the local council authority to provide the building certification services. This type of approval will require assessment of your building plan against the Building Code of Australia as well as other local building safety codes. Before the permit is issued, the certifier must ensure that the building will be structurally sound, fire protected, well-drained and energy-efficient from the plans.

About Me

Commercial Construction Blog: Tips, Ideas, Strategies and More

If you are hiring a commercial contractor or construction crew, you need to look at the issue differently than you would if you were hiring a construction crew or contractor to work on your private residence. Hi, my name is Howard, and I have worked with construction crews on restaurants, apartment blocks and a range of other commercial projects. Now, I want to share what I have learned, and I hope that the info in this blog can help you with your project. Please, look at my posts, and if they inspire or help you, please share them with your friends. Thanks for reading!